The unpleasant symptoms of a cold occur while the body is trying to rid itself of the cold virus. The key to success with natural remedies is to start using them at the first sign of at cold.
Before you feel symptoms (Prevention):
- Limit physical and emotional stressors.
- Increase amount of sleep
- Eat healthy
- Get Acupuncture regularly to support the immune system
- Add raw garlic to diet 2 times a day
- 2000 mg of Vitamin C
- Essentail Fatty Acids (EFAs)-flax, fish, or evening primrose oil
At the first sign of a cold:
Take Yin Chiao tablets or tea- 4 tablets/3 x per day. This is an antiviral/antibacterial formula. Symptoms: sore throat, runny nose, headache, neck tension, cough, chills/fever
- Take Echinacea- 2 capsules/ 3x per day
- Take Vitamin C- 1000mg/ 2x per day
- Drink tea- 3 cups per day- peppermint tea(if fever), ginger tea (if chills)
- To relieve congestion and dry up mucous apply warmed peppermint/eucalyptus oil to chest.
If symptoms worsen or include: severe sore throat, heavy cough, infection, high fever please call immediately for an acupuncture treatment and more specific herbal recommendations.